Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Art & Fear, Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of ARTMAKING

Let me just say I LOVE THIS BOOK! There is so much in here that I want to tell somebody. Poor Gerry has been trying to read next to me in bed the last few nights and I keep stopping him to read one portion after another. Many of these lessons are life lessons not just art lessons .... and more personally important is that because I am an artist (yes I said it - creative in many ways) these life lessons need to be taking hold as I try to do art as writer, painter, drawer, ,musician Let me share just a few (or more):

"The best you can do is make art you care about - and lots of it!" pg 6

"All you can work on today is directly in front of you. Your job is to develop an imagination of the possible." pg 16

"Making art can feel dangerous and revealing. Making art is dangerous and revealing. Making art precipates self-doubt, stirring deep water that lay between what you know you should be, and what you fear you might be." pg 13

"By definition, whatever you have is exactly what you need to produce your best work." pg 26

And this one just made me laugh - made me think of all the Israelites wondering around in the desert.

"When Columbus returned from the New World and proclaimed the earth was round, almost everyone else went right on believing the earth was flat. Then they died - and the next generation grew up believing that the world was round. That's how people change their minds."

No comments:

Post a Comment