Saturday, March 6, 2010

"humanity's most basic sin"

I was reading in "Table Talk" a monthly devotional from Ligonier Ministries and Dr. R.C. Sproul in a section called Coram Deo Living before the face of God for March 4th

"In Roman's 1:18-32 Paul locates humanity's most basic sin in our refusal as fallen creatures to honor God "or give thanks to him." Lack of gratitude for all of God's blessings is the first step toward idolatry, and the more we have the easier it can be to forget that all we have comes from the Lord's hand."

Interesting ... because of course I find myself regularly in that grumbling place. I had to work through this tonight with Elli. She had asked for some candy out of one of those gumball kind of machines and I had obliged. Out popped 6 round sort of sweettart type candies. I put five of them in her little pocket and popped one in my mouth. For the next next 20 minutes on and off she repeatedly returned in a grumbling manner to the one candy she didn't get despite gentle(and then again and again and again and then finally not so gentle) reminders that she should in fact be happy that she received 5 candies and not complaining about the 1 that she didn't. I need to have that attitude of thankfulness for however and whatever God sends being grateful for what I have received because his gifts are seriously so awesome and so much more than I deserve.

xoxo
g

No comments:

Post a Comment