Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Caldecott Summer!

Summer is my favorite time for so many reasons .... but mostly for the reading. I know it doesn't matter you can read anytime of the year and I do, but I have so many pleasant memories all the way back to my childhood of long summer days spent reading under a tree, beside a pool or sitting near a window listening to a summer rain with a good book in my hand. The library was a good place to escape the summer heat, so that might be a bit of the inspiration for all the reading. Libraries are one of my favorite places as well as ice cream shops and coffee shops, museums - but I digress.
This summer is going to be our Caldecott Summer. As Elli makes her way through the first readers and the picture books, while we listen to Ramona the Pest and Little House in the Big Wood in the car, or watch yet one more Barbie movie - this summer we will be making our way through the Caldecott Medal Winners (appropriate for her age). We had previously read (and watched) Madeline's Rescue.
This week we read The Little Island written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Leonard Weisgard. It won the 1947 Caldecott Medal for most distinguished American picture book for Children. We loved it! The story and illustrations were wonderful! If you get a chance pick up a copy and enjoy!!

xoxo
g

No comments:

Post a Comment