Tuesday, April 13, 2010

you're wondering aren't you ....


I've been unpacking and birthday celebrating and gym joining so I haven't been doing a lot of reading. Last night I read a couple of chapters in When Invisible Children Sing. This book really tears at my heart and I would recommend it to anyone who is consumed with their own issues. You will definitely start to think beyond yourself.

"For six months before I came to La Paz I studied hermeneutics in Boston. Hermeneutics is the theological analysis and investigation of biblical texts. Sitting in the safe confines of Boston, where I was never hungry, cold or in danger, I made a commitment to a more godly life. I was prepared to make the sacrifices and take the hardships related to humbly living such a life. Now I lie here in the dark in a cold unfinished church , just a step or two off the La Paz streets. I've been asked to bury a baby girl. And this simple request has me scared of sleeping, nay of dreaming."

Can one person make a difference? yes Do we ever really know what the sacrifices we are called to make are going to look like? probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment